Thursday, September 1, 2011

Ketoacidosis


First comes the thirst, a thirst so bad that no amount of water can
quench it. You'll drink a glass of water and for a slight moment feel
satisfied, then its gone. You find yourself drinking so much water that
you can't possibly drink any more. It feels like you ate both
Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner's on the same day. Well then you
start peeing like you cant hold your bladder. Every few minutes your in
the bathroom. And these are the easy things to deal with. After a while
you start feeling tired for no reason, just finding it hard to keep
your eyes open during the day. Slowly your senses grow feint, for me it
starts with my sense of taste. As I become more and more dehydrated
(despite the water intake.)  Then I start to feel the muscle aches,
they start as if you had worked out pretty hard a few days ago they're
almost healed. But it soon turns into a full body muscle cramp. Anybody
who has felt the effects of lactic acidosis from working out too much
can take a small sense of the feeling. Now hopefully by this point you
have gone to the hospital! It will depend on how fast the symptoms
occur. Sometimes its over a few days, sometimes a few hours. I myself
have gone far past this point unfortunately. When I was first diagnosed
with diabetes, I had no idea what was wrong with me. I was barely
conscious(but was on my own feet,) my tongue was split open from
dehydration, and I was in severe pain. It turned out that my blood
sugar was over 1000. The local hospital said it was the highest they
have ever seen with the person still conscious and not in a coma. A
normal blood sugar is between 80-120. After
a few days in there I went back to school to finish up my senior year
of high school. It took nearly a month for test results to come back
telling me that I was a type 1 that would have to take 5 shots a day
for the rest of my life.  Oh well, I dealt. There were a couple other
times I was hospitalized with ketoacidosis. One being almost three
years ago now. I had just been laid off from working at the local
Harley-Davidson dealership due to the economy, when I started feeling
some mind acidosis. I compensated with insulin(so I thought) and my
blood sugar numbers were in the low 200's. Then I started getting pains
in my lower back, my kidneys. I thought I must have just slept wrong.
That is until the next day when I couldn't even lay down in bed without
severe pain. So I had my brother take me to the hospital. It turns out
that I was basically dead.... still walked in on my own, at least to
the entrance. Apparently my kidneys had both shutdown and the doctors
didn't think I was going to make it through the night. I don't really
remember much but was told that both friends and family came to say
their goodbyes. Well needless to say, I didn't die.... I woke up late
that night with a terrible urge to pee.  I swung my leg over the side
of the bed, very delirious, then noticed that i had multiple IV's and
can just remember when I looked down thinking to myself "Thats my
junk.... What the hell? Where are my boxers?" Apparently the doctors
told my family to take all of my clothes home because I wasn't going to
make it through the night. Two days later I was out and still feeling
so shitty that I didn't even drive my own car(if you know me that
doesn't happen.) Anyway, three more months went by without incident
until I got some kind of mystery infection, no idea where or what, that
cased another bout of ketoacidosis. This time I spent about 14 hours in
the ICU before I made them release me. What kind of doctor tells you
that you have an infection strong enough to bring on ketoacidosis, yet
at the same time can't find it and wont put you on any antibiotics for
it? Now I tell people that unless I'm unconscious, I will not go to a
hospital for myself! Pretty bad huh?

5 comments: