Monday, October 31, 2011

How I Lost Over 100lbs

I’m sure most of you that are reading this have thought to yourself about needing to lose weight at one point or another in your lifetime. If not, you almost definitely know somebody that has!  It’s getting to be more and more common place these days to be overweight. Everywhere you look, there are people wearing clothes that are too tight, and magazines that tell us we need to be thin. Centuries ago it was considered a position of stature to be overweight. It meant that you had the money and ability to eat whatever you wanted.  However In these days we understand that it is wrought with many health issues and society has made the overweight a sort of hindrance to even look at. I am writing this to those who have problems with their weight, and want to try something different. I do not guaranty anything except that it worked for me.

I have always had a problem with my weight. I first started noticing when I was in the third grade. I remember because we were learning about the gravity on the moon and we had to all go to the front of the class and weigh ourselves to find out what we would weigh on the moon. I was only eight years old and I weighed 105lbs! It just got worse from there… Over the years I put on many, many more pounds. I developed self-esteem issues from it which both hampered my social life and got me into many fights. I didn’t know how to lose weight; I just knew that I wanted to. It wasn’t until high school that I actually started developing very severe depression and started to look into everything about losing my extra pounds. The problem was that I still wasn’t motivated enough to force myself into any set plan. In my senior year of high school I weighed 325lbs! Towards graduation time I started getting sick and all around just feeling like crap. I was always dehydrated, I never had any energy, and could never get enough sleep. Finally, one weekend it got to the point that I was so dehydrated that my tongue actually spilt open. No amount of water could quench my thirst. I was drinking around 4-5 Gallons of water a day, but nothing helped. I was also urinating every five minutes because of all the water. My family noticed and took me to the ER. When I got there, the first thing they asked was if I was diabetic. At this point in my life, I had heard of diabetes but had no idea what it was. Of course I told them that I wasn’t. At that point they tested my blood sugar anyway; all they told me was that it was over 1000. Later the docs told me it was the highest this hospital had ever seen anybody have and still be conscious. Well let me tell you that suddenly being diagnosed with a life threatening disease will make you get serious about controlling your diet and losing weight.

At first it wasn’t even about losing weight. I completely changed the way I ate. If you’re not familiar with the way diabetic’s look at food, here it is. We see a plate of food and instant start considering how many carbohydrates it has. At first it takes a little learning, but you get to the point that you can look at something and judge the numbers. The reason diabetic’s count carbs is not for losing weight. Carbohydrates metabolize into sugar, and sugar is what is not processed correctly by our bodies. It’s not just the sugar contents of something, but everything under that carbohydrate classification. Eventually you even begin learning which type of carbs digest and absorb into your faster than others. After about 3 months of doing this, I noticed that I had lost quite a bit of weight. I had lost nearly 40lbs. I got a job remodeling a local Wal-Mart, which was a very physical job. After about two more months I had lost another 30lbs. At this point the amount of walking I was doing was around 10 miles a day on the job. I started adding a lot of Calisthenics to my daily life. Calisthenics are basically a type of aerobic exercise using your body weight, like push-ups, sit ups, pull ups, etc. This got me down to 195lbs within that first year. I maintained this weight for a while, until I started doing some weight lifting. I put on about 20lbs after that.
Its been nearly 9 years now and I have almost completely stopped working out. I no longer have a job that is physical; I stand around all day… BUT I still maintain my diet. This has allowed me to only gain back a minimal amount of my weight. I now weigh around 225lbs. We all know that maintaining your weight is the hardest part. Well this has worked for me and It might work for you. If it does, you’re welcome. If not… you probably at least got in a little better shape in the process of trying. 

BTW... This is Awesome!
BTW... This is Awesome!

9 comments:

  1. You really had a tough time, but I'm glad that at the end it worked alright. That toilet seat does look awesome, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the accomplishment. I bet your doctors were proud. I remember losing 20 pounds but never this much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deso, actually... the doctors accused me of being on drugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diabeetus lol. Congrats on losing that weight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice story! This illness is very annoying i think.
    I like your big success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do seem to have had a tough time. Congrats on being able to lose all that weight. I have weight issues myself, ones I hope to solve.

    ReplyDelete