Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Money $

I have always been interested in money!!! Who hasn’t right? I see people every day who complain about not having any but then go and spend $200-$1000 on stupid shit. There was a point in my life when I felt comfortable; I wasn't loaded but comfortable... I worked for a big name retailer, and had earned my pay increases to the point that I usually had money in my wallet. I had a retirement account and stocks in the company, I even talked with a few brokerage firms about possible investment. I had enough money to get my Harley, and even had my own two bedroom apartment. Then I got the smart idea to try something that I wanted to do on the side. It didn't pay much at all, but I wanted to do it. The problem started when both jobs resented the fact that I wasn't content with just working for one of them. They both wanted me all to themselves. Don't get me wrong, I was happy that they both wanted me. Finally one of them had enough and asked me to leave. They didn't fire me, but politely asked me to leave before they had no choice but to fire me. Here is where the money problems started, the company that asked me to leave was the one that actually paid my bills. I had to cash out my retirement fund, at a huge penalty! I sold my stocks in the company, and got a roommate. I tried to sell the Harley but owed more than anybody would pay. I eventually went to full time at the other job and started getting commission and better pay. Then in 2008 our country began going through its little economic crisis. I survived the first wave of layoffs that September, but in December I was laid off. The company was very good about it, even telling me exactly what I needed to do to get on unemployment. I got on unemployment and looked my ass off for a job. Over a nearly two year period I place hundreds of applications and sent out as many resumes. During that time I only received two interviews. I finally landed a job, not well paying, but its work. I have gotten a few raises since I have been here and now would like to look toward my future again. I have been checking out all the things I used to have, like stocks and a retirement plan. But unfortunately my boss doesn't even offer health insurance, let alone any kind of future options. I guess my only choice is to look for it on my own and start small. I was thinking about some of the online trading sites, and possibly a non-job related retirement account. What do you guys think? Any advice for me?

5 comments:

  1. Always an interesting topic! Maybe you should look for my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just keep up the good work and dont give up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name of your blog. Good post btw ;D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep at it. Work is work. It might not be well paid but its always worth it for the experience in the long run. :)

    ReplyDelete